History of the CCBA
Where We Came From and Where We Are Going
The first official step toward the organization of the Corpus Christi Baptist Association was taken at the annual meeting of the Blanco Baptist Association, which was held at Beeville, on Friday, October 20, 1911. At the afternoon session on that day, D.B. South read a resolution which had been adopted by a mass meeting that had been held Thursday morning. This resolution was adopted. It provided for the division of the Blanco Baptist Association in such a way that the part lying southwest of the Nueces River would be organized into a new Association. It also provided that in 1912 the churches southwest of this river would organize a new association.
The reasons given in the resolution of D. B. South for the desire to organize a new association were: (a) the Blanco Association as so large that it was necessary that some of the messengers travel too great a distance in reaching the meeting, (b) the number of messengers was too large to be entertained by the churches. Another reason that seemed to have played a part was the existence of so many poor roads in the association. The meeting for the purpose of organizing a new association was called to meet at the Corpus Christi Baptist Church on Friday, April 19, 1912. The call was issued at the Fifth Sunday meeting which met at Bishop in March, 1912.
There were nine churches represented by messengers at the Organizational meeting. The messengers from Aberdeen failed to get to the meeting, but the church sent a message favoring the organization of a new association, The messenger from Bishop failed to arrive on account of inclement weather, and Falfurrias was not represented by regular messengers, it seemed, but J.F. Franks said the church favored the organization and wished to cooperate.
The temporary moderator and Clerk elected were D. B. South and W. C. Hamil, respectively. After ample discussion as to its propriety, it was decided to organize a new Baptist association. A constitutional committee was appointed composed of J. G. Brice, D. M. Carr, and H. A. Choran.
The first name proposed for the New Baptist Association was the new Baptist Association was the Nueces Missionary Baptist Association, but the name of “Corpus Christi” was substituted for “Nueces”. This association was to include the Baptist churches within the district south of the Nueces River and north of the line of the Cameron—Hidalgo Association and between the east line of the Rio Grande Association and the Gulf of Mexico.
The Association was composed of Nueces, Kleberg, and Jim Wells Counties, and a large part of Duval, Live Oak, Jim Hogg, Brooks, and Wil1acy Counties. This constituted a territory sixty—five miles wide and one hundred miles long, but since the area is not rectangular in shape, the area was only about 5,000 square miles.
There was six county seat towns in the association, and a population of about thirty thousand Anglo-Americans and about twenty thousand Latin Americans.
The objectives of the Association were to strengthen Baptist fellowship and promote cooperation among the churches in their efforts along Missionary, Educational and Benevolent lines.
The officers of the Association were Moderator, Clerk, Corresponding Secretary, and Treasurer. The Executive Board was composed of the officers of the Association together with the pastors of each church. Every church with a membership of less than sixty cooperating with the Association was entitled to three messengers. A church with more than sixty members was entitled to one messenger in excess of this number.
The first permanent officers of the Corpus Christi Association were elected after the adoption of the Constitution. They were D.B. South, Moderator; W. C. Hamie, Clerk; W. A. Myers, Corresponding Secretary; and W.I. Walton,Treasurer.
Sandia was selected as the place of the first annual meeting of the Corpus Christi Baptist Association. This meeting was to be held from September 18 until September 20, 1912.
There were fourteen churches represented at Sandia from the Corpus Christi Baptist Association. Of these there were two new churches, which had not been present at the organizational meeting. These churches were received as members at this time were the London and the Sunshine Churches.
The main achievements of this first Annual session of the new Association was the employment of an Association Missionary selected was by the executive board. The missionary selected was W.A. Myers who was to receive a salary of $100 a month.
In 1953, the association, comprised of approximately 150,000 people in a fast-growing area, decided to become metropolitan in its concept. To meet the challenge, twenty-six cooperating congregations joined hands with the Baptist General Convention of Texas and the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. Dr. W. H. Colson was called to be the Metropolitan Missions Superintendent and served until November 1, 1981.
Rev. Bill R. Frazier joined the staff March 1, 1979, as Associate Director of Missions. He was called as Director of Missions November 1, 1981.
Rev. Mell Plunk served as Director of Missions from 1994 to 1996.
Rev. Harvey Kneisel served as Director of Missions from 1997 to 2000.
In his twenty years of service (1983-2003), Rev. Forrest Smith served as Associate Director of Missions in the area of Church Services and Weekday Ministries. He served as Interim Director of Missions on three occasions and as Acting Director of Missions prior to his retirement May 31, 2003.
In 2004, Rev. Ed Jump joined the association as Director of Missions. He served until 2011.
In 2010, Rev. Anson R. Nash, Jr. came aboard as Administrator. As Administrator, Rev. Nash moved our association from committee led to team led.
In 2011, he became Interim Executive Director and answered the call to become Executive Director in 2012. Our 2012 focus, ROCC 2012!, was designed to reach the Inner City with the Gospel message. We are continuing that goal in 2013 and striving to enhance our efforts by connecting our churches together in a common goal of Kingdom building in Corpus Christi and the surrounding area.